Saturday, May 12, 2012

Finding a book on Design Pattern

So far I have used singleton and factory model. But my understandings on design patterns are limited. So I decided to go in depth into it. I followed my usual book searching procedure...
     
1. Search in google and go through plenty of blog posts for book suggestions and review. Gather some names.

2. Next come to stack overflow and check what book they are gossiping about?

3. Now take out the common names and head to google books.

4. Here you can see preview of your books along with websites in your country, who actually sell them.

5. One draw back here is price comparison is not shown on google book. So you have to manually visit each and every site to find the best deal. My personal favorite is flipkart.com , just because of the quality of their service.

I have found 4 books interesting.

1. Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code : 
    It's a classic book and praised by almost everyone. But some complained that it's a bit dated.

2. Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship :
   My guess is this one will give more value for money than any other choices. It talks about a                          more wider subject. 

3. 
Head First Design Patterns : This one looks catchy. Just like other books in this series, it attempts to explain all complex stuffs in a visual manner. I guess I will settle for this :)  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rwik Mukhopadhyay,
    I have read your post on "Finding a book on Design Pattern" and it is really well written and such a informative post. I am working in Vancouver pr agency and besides I also write book. It is my hobbies. I wrote another book and for that I was finding designs on internet. And then I saw your blog on search engine, I think it will surely help me out for my book design.
    Thanks for post and keep posting.
    Best regards
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete